Saturday, February 19, 2011

Race Weekend

The real story of a triathlete/runner and his supporter. If you've ever been curious how I spend a few weekends from the months of February to October here ya go!

Race Weekend
For those who are unfamiliar with the sports of triathlons and marathons here are a few key phrases I will use and so you can have a knowledge of what I'm talking about
5K-3 mile race
10K- 6 mile race
Half Marathon-13.1 mile
Full Marathon-26.2 mile
Triathlon-Swim, Bike, Run (The distances vary by type)
Full Ironman- Swim -2 Miles  Bike-112 miles  Run-26.2 miles (Yes all in one day)

Prior to the race
So now that we have some basic knowledge here we go. Now race weekend is just the culmination of many hours and days of training. Depending on the length of the race the training can vary. If you are a person who must spend every moment with your significant other then I suggest either not date a triathlete or train with them! I digress, races are usually on Sunday mornings. So on Fridays the preparation begins. Packet pick for the races is usually at some point during the week and then if the race is a Half or Full marathon and above sometimes there is a convention held if the race is big enough. After the packet has been picked up we move into Saturday which can be a stressful day if not prepared for adequately. Robert is usually a nervous, stressed out wreck the day prior to a race. He is getting everything together and is pacing back and forth. Part of being a supporter is adhering to their diet (this part truly sucks, say good bye to french fries :( ) so the final meal before a race is pasta in Robert's case. 

Morning of Race
Since the races usually begin between 6am-8am bed time is on average at 10pm on a Saturday night. I tend to sleep like a rock the night before races whereas Robert doesn't sleep much. As I said depending on the race this will determine what time the dreaded alarm goes off. The earliest we have gotten up for a race was for a full marathon and that was 4am. Robert gets up the second the alarm goes off and proceeds to putting on the spandex while I lay in bed till the last possible second. Finally I'll roll out of bed and get my item: the backpack. After we have gotten everything, we have the car ride to the race site. The car ride is often silent consisting of a few questions like: "Are you excited? Do you think you'll do really well? I wonder if you'll get a good picture"  .

Arriving on site of the race
Once arriving to the site two things can happen. If it is a triathlon we must go to the transition area for body markings and setting up and for just a marathon we have to go to our proper cattle call gate area and stretch. I say we because I am involved in this. I do not participate in the race but I do all of the things until this point. Now, Robert is at the location and everything is marked and set up we walk around for the remaining 30 minutes that is inevitably available because we get there early. At this point you may ask a few more questions or discuss certain people at the location but nothing more. After the 30 minutes pass, I go with Robert to the starting line and give him a good luck hug and kiss. This is the last time I see him until the finish (unless it's a triathlon I can sometimes be at the transition area)


During the race
To best sum up what happens during the race is by a bulleted list of things I tend to do while waiting.
  • Stand around and stare at things
  • Check facebook
  • Have the phone call with Robert's mom about my location and where I'll be upon her arrival
  • Look for the finish line
  • Pet dogs that are usually there
  • Check facebook again
  • Walk around
  • Stand at the finish line at a time Robert won't finish
  • Play on my phone
  • Locate caffeine
  • Recently to the local races Robert's friends show up to support so I can talk to them
  • Then finally check my watch to see if it's close to finish line time
Finish Line
 Sounds easy right, just stand and find him. WRONG! Finish lines are ridiculous. By this time I am tired because I've been up early as well and from my list of things above I get bored. The fun begins because you play Where's Waldo the real game. Robert is of course wearing the most popular color and he ends up looking like everyone racing. Then at that beautiful moment I see him in the distance and then I grab my camera and attempt to take the all important photograph. There is usually lots of screaming and cheering for Robert as I am excited he completed another race

After Race
The athletes get their free food and drink and then I finally get to see Robert after all the waiting. We take pictures he usually says one of the two things: "Man I think I did really awesome because of blah blah blah or "Man this one thing really messed with me I don't think I did so awesome. Finally we get all of our things and return to the car and go home. Then he showers and we take what we call the race day nap. It is beyond glorious and is always the best part of race days


So as you see this is the raw and uncut truth about being a supporter. I do enjoy it because I know it means something to him that while he's running, he knows someone will be at the end of the finish line holding his backpack full of stuff, with a camera, a tired face, but still smiling and cheering for him. I know it would make all the difference for me. So if you know a runner, triathlete or any athlete for that matter, go support them. Cheer for them, get up early for them, get them water, because I promise it'll mean more to them than you'll ever know.

1 comment:

  1. Tori -- I close my eyes and see my wife in that very role. She schleps, she cheers, she ensures proper nutrition, she consoles, and so on. It's truly an unsung role and Robert is lucky to have you there!.

    Great to meet you today and thanks for the great pics! Can't wait to read your post from the cheering section.

    ReplyDelete