Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day

Yes it is one day late, but I was spending the day with my valentine and thinking of what to say :) Now as I should be having ideas of rhetoric, citizenship, and be memorizing my performance I am blogging. Oh well it's college right?


 Anyways, so each day in my classes my teacher has a "question of the day". Today was what did you do for valentine's day? I was amazed at how many people said they didn't celebrate it and that it was a "capitalistic" holiday. Then of course my facebook newsfeed was flooded with pictures of flowers, "I hate Valentine's Day", and numerous others things. I've had my shares of Valentine's Day's both single and in relationships and I've never "hated" the day. Maybe because most of my family decided to all be born in February so I could never really hate the month. I digress, so I'm sure some think I have the super romantic valentine's days full of diamonds and flowers..blah blah. Well I don't and I'm really glad to not. While those things are sweet and cute to me they seem to easy. Anyone can watch a romantic movie and do those things or go online and pick out flowers, I like it to be different. So how did I celebrate my Valentine's Day you ask? Well to let you all in on more about my relationship with Robert (Triathlete) I will review how we've spent our Valentine's Days together.

V-Day #1
    This was our first one together and it was full of surprises to say the least! It started out as being in Grand Prairie outside but then was moved inside due to cold weather, then the time changed. I of course was wracking my brain trying to figure out what the hell he was planning. Back story::We had been "together" just under a month and we both worked until 10 and 11pm. I had 8am classes that semester so of course we'd hang out from 12am-4am. I was just excited to go on a "date, date" with him:: Anyways he shows up to my apartment with chocolate covered strawberries and a card that would set the precedent for card giving in our relationship. He got me a glittery barbie princess card (because he said it was one of the few left, he's really awesome I promise!) So then we get in the car and he drives half way to our destination and blindfolds me. Talk about being scary when you are in the car with someone you've known a month and you are blindfolded! So we arrive and turns out the date was at Medieval Times! He got the Royal Treatment Package, and we got our picture taken with one of the knights, and got second row seats! Between eating with my hands, laughing at the high schoolers that were on the other side of us, the light up roses (which I still have as well as my crown) and the knight throwing me a flower it was one of the best Valentine's dates I'd ever been on.

V-Day # 2
    This one was even more special for us! We had both been working ALOT and had not seen each other all that much so when I found out I got Valentine's Day off we jumped on it! We went to lunch at Olive Garden and then went to the Galleria! I'm pretty sure neither of us bought anything and we watched the ice skaters and went into all of the weird stores. We went into a Tiffany's just to see what it was like and to those who have never been it felt like a funeral home. They take you in rooms with couches and tables and then proceed to help you plan. Needless to say we didn't really fit in with the crowd there that day. We went back to his place where we then made chocolate covered strawberries and Robert tried making designs on them but ended up flinging the chocolate everywhere. The next part I can't make up, we went to Blockbuster and found the most awful horror movies and came to his place and watched them. This made our tradition of going to a "big place" and watching terrible horror films.

V-Day #3
    This Valentine's Day we finally had normal schedules and it had snowed the days leading up to Valentine's Day so we had a blast. Once the day came Robert was really wanting a new TV stand and coffee table. So where do two goobers go? We went to IKEA for the first time for each of us. This place was ridiculous!! We walked around in amazement looking at all of the room set ups and furniture. It was so much fun!! After our adventure, Robert ended up making us dinner and we watched more terrible horror movies while dining on chocolate covered strawberries. It was another perfect Tori and Robert Valentine's Day.

V-Day #4! The one you've been waiting for!
    Our most recent Valentine's Day was along the same lines as #2 and #3. It took us awhile to figure out what to do and especially since our anniversary is in January and our birthday's are in December we do our fair share of things. We agreed that he'd cook dinner for us and we'd find a horror movie on Netflix. Well Saturday we went to our new place which was California Pizza Kitchen where we had the most amazing pizza and while we were talking we realized how long it'd be since we went out on a "real" date. Our lives are so busy with school and work for me; while he has training and work and trying to get a house up for sale. Halfway through dinner we decided to see a movie and we had a blast. The next night he cooked me dinner while we just watched the Grammy's together. Now for the showstopper! Yesterday, he banished me to his room while he worked to prepare his gift. After 2 hours of waiting, he finally brings me outside where he bought a fire pit (his brother was fanning the fire trying to keep it going) with all the ingredients for smores. I was so touched he took the time to put all this together and recruit his brother! Now in typical Robert and Tori fashion the wood he purchased was awful and would not catch fire. He was beyond frustrated and upset his attempt to be romantic wasn't going as planned. At that moment I realized he could have just made me a smores in microwave and light a candle and I would have been just as satisfied. It was then I told him, everyday is Valentine's Day with you and I don't care what you do. We have all the time to use this pit and make smores! Just because it's Valentine's Day doesn't mean anything. He smiled and hugged me and we made a last attempt to make a smores.

The moral of my Valentine's post is to appreciate the little things. Each of my Valentine's days had something special about them and it wasn't the gifts or what we did, it was the fact Robert chose me and all he wanted to do was make me feel special. Little does he know he does that all the time :) I hope those who said they hated Valentine's Day this year will find something or someone that makes them feel the way Robert makes me feel everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment